Check out 5 reasons to visit Indore for your next vacation and give a short break to yourself...
Renting and driving a car in a foreign country is the most affordable means to commute. It allows you to explore a number of places, have new experiences and wander around non-tourist paths. However, for all this to happen, you require an International Driving Permit.
Here’s how you can obtain an International Driving Permit in India without any hassle. Having an International travel insurance along with license is icing on the top as it gives you a complete protection.
Overview of International Driving License
International driving license is an official legal document that gets issued by the road transport authority of country you travel to. It permits driving a car or a two-wheeler on the road. If you hold a valid Indian driving license, then obtaining an IDL require 4-5 business days only.
In short, International Driving License is an official translation of your current driving license. It showcase that the person hold a valid driving license that can be understood by abroad authorities.
The main reason to have an International Driving License is to avoid getting into trouble with foreign authorities. This keeps liable bond between the individual and the legal authorities of that country.
Documents Required To Get an International Driving Permit
Before you procure an international driving license, there are some important documents you are required to have.
- Proof of Indian citizenship
- Copy of passport and visa
- Photocopy of flight tickets
- Passport size photos
- Age and address proof
- Signed & sealed application form or CMV-4 form
- Filled CMV-1 and 1A form that underlines your health status issued by a certified government doctor
Apply for an International Driving Permit in India
Follow the step-by-step procedure to apply for IDL in India,
- Visit https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/
- Click on ‘Apply Online’ and select ‘Driving License’ option
- Read the instructions & hit continue
- Add your date of birth and driving license number. Click proceed
- Select the ‘issue of IDP to DL holder’ option and hit ‘continue’
- Your name, selected RTO and driving license number will display at the top
- Add other details like passport number, its validity, visa number, birthplace, and birth country
- Now choose the class of vehicle you wish to have International Driving license for and ‘Confirm’ it
- Upload the documents and verify them. Click ‘submit’
- Upload photo and signature and click ‘next’
- Get a print of the application form and submit it at your nearest RTO centre and make payment for the same
Get International Travel Insurance
You need International Travel Insurance as International Driving License alone won’t suffice your safety and protection. What does travel insurance cover include?
1. Cancelled trip
In case you need to cancel the travel plan, leave all your worries and panic to the insurance company. Travel insurance gets you everything reimbursed. It covers trip expenses, terrorist incident, sickness, injury, and other scenarios.
2. Medical Emergencies
Travel insurance keeps all your apprehensions at bay in case you feel distressed abroad even if it happens because of driving.
3. Loss of baggage, delay of flights and delay of baggage
You should always be prepared for such things, especially when you are traveling abroad. Human error can occur any time but with travel insurance, you get compensation for delay or loss of bags.
4. Personal Liability Bond
Your travel insurance covers you for any emergency that arises while driving a car. It also includes injury to yourself, and damage to the rented car.
This is how you get an international driving permit in India and an insurance cover for the same.