Premenstrual depression or PMDD is usually seen in many females before 7-10 days of their start of monthly menstrual cycle. Its a condition in which tremendous depression is seen along with physical problems. It can be said maybe 2 in every 4 women have experienced some amount of Premenstrual depression.
Its symptoms usually disappear after the start of Periods but still with proper lifestyle and management females can control these symptoms and doesn’t let it affect their routine.
Let’s see the symptoms, causes and Treatment
- Sluggish and Inactiveness
- Feeling dejected all the time
- Becoming grouchy for small or no reasons
- Insomnia or excessive sleep
- Unnecessary anxiety and restlessness
- Lack of Interest in work
- Recurring mood swings
- Behaving in a strange way sometimes
- Sometimes crying for no reasons
- Being aggressive
- Adopting inappropriate habits
- Consuming excessive alcohol
- Feeling of isolation
- Loss of appetite
- Lack of concentration in work
- Craving for junk food
- Lack of self confidence and self esteem
- Thoughts of suicide sometimes
- Being oversensitive about unnecessary things
- Becoming little bit schizophrenic
- Panic attacks
- Unnecessary Stress
Well Exact reasons have not been found for Menstrual depression but some researchers have estimated that Hormonal Fluctuations plays role in evolving it, such as Serotonin levels change.( A Hormone that regulates mood produced by nerve cells) .
The levels of sensitivity to such Hormonal changes varies from female to female. And other causes include Deficiency of important vitamins and minerals, taking too much oily foods, aerated drinks, caffeine, excessive junk foods can worsen the situation.
As the exact cause of Premenstrual Depression is not known, various measures can be taken to get relief from the symptoms:
- Taking Vitamin C supplements such as Lemon water, Oranges, amla,etc
- Taking dry fruits such as Dates and almonds which have natural antidepressants.
- Yoga- It’s a natural cure for everything and will make you feel calm and soothing
- Wake up early and spend time in nature. Consequently, In today’s busy life, everyone is in a habit to sit in Air conditioned rooms and adopting sedentary lifestyle, so come out of your home and breathe fresh air
- Do aerobics and other physical exercises
- Drink lots of fluids like coconut water
- Hence lastly take healthy diet with such as vegetables ,avoid sugar, take sufficient sleep.
These remedies can at least help you to reduce some effects of PMDD.