The floating market of Bangkok is a different world on its own. You will witness several boats crammed in slender canals that sell a huge variety of food and other goods. Friendly vendors will talk amongst themselves in Thai.
The bustling yet friendly environment of this place makes it one of its own. You just cannot miss a tour of the Bangkok floating market. Here is everything you need to know about Bangkok’s best floating markets.
History Of Bangkok Floating Market
In Asia, floating markets are mainly found in Thailand, Indonesia and Vietnam. Today they are mainly tourist hotspot which sells aromatic food and souvenirs.
Before urban Bangkok was developed, vendors and sellers used waterways to sell their goods and make money. Even after Thailand was developed and roads were constructed, the canals remained a popular means of transportation.
A trip in the long-tail boat along the Bang Nok Kwaek will get you the best floating market tour in Bangkok.
When To Visit Bangkok’s Floating Markets
Most of the floating markets are open all 7 days of the week, so you can visit whenever you are in Bangkok. To beat the huge crowd of tourists, it’s best to visit these markets before lunchtime. Head to these markets early in the morning to make the most of your trip.
10 Best Floating Markets In Bangkok
1. Amphawa Floating Market
This popular Bangkok floating market is heaven for people with a sweet tooth. The floating food carts offer a number of unusual eatables all day at reasonable rates.
Location: Amphawa, Amphawa District, Samut Songkhram
- A huge variety of funny looking delicacies
- Beautiful handicraft for souvenir
2. Khlong Lat Mayom Floating Market
Khlong Lat Mayom Floating Market is one of the biggest floating markets in Bangkok. This market is known to be colourful in the most traditional way.
Location: Located only 20 km away from the city of Bangkok
- Shows a true picture of local Thai culture and daily life of the people of Thailand
- Although it’s quite famous among locals, less number of tourists come here
- You get authentic Thai food here
3. Damnoen Saduak Floating Market
Situated in Ratchaburi, Damnoen Saduak Floating Market is one of the largest in Bangkok. You will see boats laden with tropical fruits, flowers and other fresh produces.
Location: Ratchaburi Province
- This market is meant to be visited in the early morning when it’s bustling with colours
- Explore the nearby canals to understand the local Thai lifestyle
- Hire a long-tail boat and don’t forget your camera to capture this beauty
4. Bang Khu Wiang Floating Market
A traditional market in Bangkok, Bang Khu Wiang Floating Market is known for fruit and fish market centres. You get irresistible authentic Thai dishes here.
Location: This market is located at the bank of Noi-Khlong Om River. You can reach here by taking a boat ride from Chang Pier River
- Authentic Thai food is a major attraction of Bang Khu Wiang Floating Market
- The market also offers farm-fresh food items
5. Bang Nam Pheung Floating Market
Better known as Bangkok’s riverside market, Bang Nam Pheung Floating Market is just the place to spend your perfect weekend. This marketplace is a paradise for food lovers.
Location: This market is located 30 km away from the city near a place called Chang Wat Samut Prakan
- There are authentic chains of traditional Thai restaurants by the side of riverbank
- Seafood and Thai desserts are particularly famous
- Great place to get clothes, traditional Thai décor, Thai plates etc
6. Taling Chan Floating Market
Since Thaling Chan is one of the 50 districts of Thailand, Taling Chan Floating Market has its own prominence. This place feels like a warm hug in a strange land.
Location: Taling Chan Floating Market is around 10 km away from Bangkok
- You get seafood and prawn dishes here
- Homemade décor and fresh fruits are also available
- Don’t miss out on barbeque grilled fish topped with some Thai leaves
7. Tha Kha Floating Market
Tha Kha Floating Market is a compact yet authentic marketplace in Bangkok. This place is known for its exotic range of prawn dishes and green farm veggies.
Location: It’s located 20 km away from the main city near the canal of Amphawa, Bangkok.
- The smell of fresh flowers and colourful ambiance is sure to take you to the heaven
- Lush greenery and chilly climate makes it a popular choice or day out
8. Bang Khla Floating Markets
Structured as a small village in the district of Bang Khla, this floating market is one of its kind. You can have lunch here arranged by the side of the riverbank market.
Location: Bang Khla market is located in the district of Amphoe in Bangkok Thailand
- Thi place has a variety of desserts and ice creams
- The village has a convenient transport system so it’s easy to reach this market
- In the brief time that you’ll spend here, you will witness the essence of Thai culture
9. Bang Nok Kwaek Floating Market
This century-old Bangkok floating market has retained its authenticity over the century. If you look for less crowded places, this market is just the place for you.
Location: Amphoe Bangkonthee, Bang Khonthi, Thailand
- Less crowded, more authentic experience
- A combination of natural beauty and tempting food is unbeatable
10. Muang Boran Floating Market
This floating market in Bangkok is known to be a live example of cultural diversity. The open-air museum that depicts replicas of the five regions of Thailand is one of the major attractions.
Location: Bang Pu Mai, Mueang Samut Prakan District, Samut Prakan
- The diverse culture retaining the authenticity
- Replicas of old buildings
Tours to the floating market of Bangkok are bound to give you memories of a lifetime. So do not miss this opportunity when you are in Thailand for your vacation.